History of Farthinghoe Village Hall
The current Village Hall was built in 1981, on land conveyed to Farthinghoe Parish Council in that same year. Planning permission for the new Hall was granted in February 1979.
Since then the Village Hall and associated land has been held on trust by the Farthinghoe Parish Council for the benefit of the village.
The day to day running of the village hall is undertaken by a committee of local residents.
Prior to 1981, there was a earlier hall, on the main road opposite the allotments - which has since been replaced by housing. This hall was given to the village by Mrs Rush of Farthinghoe Lodge in 1935 - see below for the article in the Northampton Mercury on 9th August that year.
The ownership passed through Brackley RDC and was also looked after by the British Legion - but in 1958 the village took ownership with the help of a grant from the Ministry of Education and a Village Hall Committee was formed. Since then a Village Hall Committee has been responsible for the management of the hall.
In a booklet produced in Farthinghoe in 1977, it states that ' at present a group of residents is trying to negotiate for a fresh site where a new hall could be built, alongside a playing field...... but finance is not easy nowadays'.
Ten years after that original booklet, it was updated - as follows :-
'One outstanding achievement has to be recorded in this period, the building of the new Village Hall in Cockley Road. That this project was brought to fruition in difficult times is a tribute to the courage and determination of the small committee which fathered it.
A commemorative tablet near the entrance records another remarkable feature - that one man, Geoffrey Chiltern, erected this extensive stone building by his sole efforts, under the guidance of Trevor Ellis, a Churchwarden, who acted as surveyor. Dick Mulllins, son of the former Rector, carried out the electrical work'.